Lobster Fondue



This was only the second time in the 16 years since I left Ohio that I did not cook a big Thanksgiving dinner.  I usually have anywhere from 15-30 people over for Thanksgiving, which makes me immensely happy.  I love cooking so much, and sharing food with friends and family is one of the most rewarding things I think you can do. 

Last year my husband and I went to my sister's place and had Thanksgiving with her and her family. It was lovely to spend a few days with her, my brother-in-law, and my nieces.  I have to admit I was torn because I wasn't cooking and I really wanted to, but it was also lovely to have someone else cook for me.  This year, I had to cancel travel plans for medical reasons and went to a "Friendsgiving." Although I didn't make the main meal, I couldn't show up empty-handed, so I decided to break out a dish I hadn't made in a while and freshen it up a bit - my lobster fondue!  This delicious dip can be kept warm in a slow cooker or fondue pot or baked and served family-style or in individual servings, and it's just as good piping as it is at room temperature.




I prefer to buy a whole live lobster and boil it myself, which is relatively easy.  Most fish counters will carry already cooked lobster meat out of the shell if you're not up to the task.  If you're buying a whole live lobster, you will need to get one between 1 1/2 - 2 pounds for the right amount of meat.





Lobster Fondue


Ingredients

For the Lobster:

1 1 1/2-2 pound lobster
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp peppercorns
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp white wine

For the Fondue:

1-1 1/2 pounds lobster     
2 medium shallots
4 plum tomatoes
2 jalapeños (optional)
6 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
8oz cream cheese, room temperature 
8oz goat cheese, room temperature 
8oz pepper jack, grated 
1 cup white wine
2-3 tbsp heavy cream 
3 tbsp chopped chives plus more for garnish
Salt & Pepper to taste
Assorted Bread/toast/crackers for dipping


Directions:


For the lobster

1. Place the lemon juice, wine, bay leaves, and peppercorns large pot, fill about 3/4 with water, and bring it to a boil.  

2. Place the lobster in the pot and put the lid on tightly.  

3. Cook for about 15 minutes until the shell is bright red.  

4. Remove and immediately submerge in ice water to stop the cooking. 

5. Once cool, allow it to drain well, remove all the meat from the claws, legs, and tail, and chop it up.  

6. While it is cooling, make the fondue.


For the fondue

1. Filet the tomatoes - quarter them and remove the inside seeds and flesh and discard.  

2. Cut the tomatoes into a fine dice.  

3. Remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeños if using and dice them the same size as the tomatoes.  

4. Mince the shallots and garlic and chop the chives - I use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut chives; it works quickly and perfectly.  

5. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the shallot and garlic with a bit of salt and pepper for 2-3 minutes until softened slightly.  

6. Add the jalapeños and tomatoes and sauté for another 2 minutes.  

7. Add the white wine and reduce to about 1/3 cup.  

8. Stir in the cream cheese and goat cheese and allow them to melt completely.  

9. Stir in the pepper jack and allow it to melt.  

10. Add the chopped lobster meat and chives stirring to combine.  

11. Add the heavy cream one tablespoon at a time to loosen if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.  

12. Pour the fondue into a slow cooker set on low or into a fondue pot and keep it warm.  Garnish with more chopped chives and serve it with assorted toast and bread - I even like it with hard Bavarian-type pretzels.  Or place it in individual ramekins with toast on the side.  

*Chef's Note
The fondue can be made a day or two in advance and refrigerated until you plan to serve it.  Allow it to cool completely before covering and refrigerating it.  Reheat it on the stovetop or put it into a casserole dish and bake it to serve family-style if you don't have a fondue pot or slow cooker.


Comments

Popular Posts