Egg Nog




I have said it before - the holidays are my favorite time of the year!  I love having parties, entertaining, cooking, baking.....all of it.  Now, I know this may be a little late, but I hope you can use it anyway - I mean, egg nog works for New Year's Eve too!  I have always loved egg nog!  My grandfather used to make a very simple homemade egg nog when I was a kid, and it was fantastic, but as I have gotten older, I have found better recipes, and finally, last year, I made one of my own.  This is treated like an ice cream base or a cooked custard and is so thick and rich that if you like egg nog, I think you will love this version.  

It is perfect for the holiday table and can be served with or without alcohol, whichever you prefer. I like to serve either spiced rum, brandy, or whiskey on the side so guests can add it if they choose. I also don't have to make a separate batch for any kids that may end up at the party.  I have 9 nephews and nieces, so that is always a possibility.....if my family were in town.




Egg Nog




Ingredients


12 egg yolks
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 quart milk
1 quart heavy cream
6 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks 
2 star anise (optional)
2 vanilla beans or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp ground nutmeg


Directions:

1. If using vanilla beans, split them in half and scrape the seeds out. 

2. Place heavy cream, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, vanilla bean pods, and scrapings (or 1tbsp vanilla extract) in a large saucepot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. 

3. Remove from the heat and allow to steep while you do the next step.

4. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until they double in volume and turn a pale yellow color.  The mixture should fall in ribbons when the whisk is pulled out.  

5. Slowly add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks while whisking constantly.  

6. Once all the sugar is dissolved, and the mixture is well combined, put it back in the pot and cook it over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or heat-safe rubber spatula.  Do not let the mixture boil!  

7. Once it starts to steam and thickens enough to hold a line on the back of the spoon, remove it from the heat and strain into a mixing bowl.  

8. Either by hand or with a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment - whisk the egg whites with 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract until soft peaks form.

9. Add the quart of heavy cream and ground nutmeg to the hot egg mixture and whisk together. 

10. Then add the whipped egg white mixture and whisk to combine.  Taste and add more nutmeg and/or vanilla extract if desired.  

11. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.  Add spiced rum, brandy, or whiskey if desired.

Comments

  1. is this the recipe that was served at Third and Vine last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the recipe that was served at Third & Vine. Sorry I am responding so late.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts